IV Sedation – Medford, NY
Helping You Battle Dental Fear
You may be surprised to learn that countless adults experience anxiety and nervousness at the thought of visiting their dentist. Fortunately, at Island Daily Dental Care, we offer highly effective IV sedation in Medford to help our patients feel more relaxed in the treatment chair. That way, you can rest-assured that you’re able to keep your oral health on the right track without jeopardizing your comfort or mental health. To learn more about IV sedation and other methods we offer, contact our friendly team of professionals today.
Who is a Good Candidate for IV Sedation?
IV sedation is the strongest method of sedation that we offer, which is why we typically suggest it to patients who experience severe dental anxiety and fear. However, we may also offer IV sedation for patients who:
- Require extensive dental treatment.
- Have had a past traumatic experience with a dentist.
- Have a strong gag reflex.
- Have difficulty sitting in the treatment chair for long periods of time.
- Have difficulty getting numb with local anesthesia.
- Are triggered by the sights, smells, and sounds of the dental office.
Before your appointment, we can help you decide whether IV sedation is the best method for you. If not, we also offer nitrous oxide and oral conscious sedation that you may be able to benefit from.
How Does IV Sedation Work?
When you sit down in the treatment chair, we’ll administer the medication directly into your bloodstream. This allows the effects to quickly take place, so you don’t have to anxiously wait.
Many of our patients believe they’re unconscious during their treatment; however, that’s not the case. Even though you won’t be able to remember anything when the effects wear off, you’ll remain completely conscious throughout the entire process, so you can respond to any questions or directions that we give you. Until we remove the IV, you’ll remain in a sleepy and relaxed state. The medication typically takes between 24 and 48 hours to completely leave your system after the treatment, so you’ll need a trusted friend or family member to drop you off and pick you up from our office.
What are the Benefits of IV Sedation?
IV sedation offers several benefits for patients, including some of the following:
- Complete Comfort: During your treatment, you won’t experience discomfort.
- Flexible Sedation: While monitoring your vitals, our team of professionals can adjust the amount of medication you receive.
- Fast-Acting: The effects of IV sedation take place quickly.
- Conscious Interaction: You remain conscious throughout your treatment, allowing our team to check-in with you.
- Faster Treatment Time: Because you’ll be relaxed and still, your dentist in Medford will be able to quickly and effectively treat you.
IF you have any questions or concerns about IV sedation, don’t hesitate to contact our office.