Dental Implants – Medford, NY
How do Dental Implants Work?
Dental implants are one of the most innovative treatments that modern dentistry has to offer; and believe it or not, they have actually been in use for over 50 years! However, many people still don’t have a clear understanding of what a dental implant is and how it can benefit not only their smile, but also their oral health. Read on to learn more about dental implants in Medford.
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is comprised of three parts:
- The implant: This is surgically placed into your jawbone. It’s made of titanium, which is biocompatible and can effectively integrate with your bone over a healing period of 3 to 6 months. The implant takes the place your missing root.
- The abutment: This is the piece that connects your implant and crown together after the healing process is completed.
- The crown: This is the part of your dental implant that you see and it’s designed to mimic and replace your missing tooth. It’s typically made of ceramic porcelain, which provides durability and aesthetics for your smile.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Besides restoring your smile, implants provide a number of additional benefits for patients such as:
- A high success rate: Dental implants are a highly reliable treatment that boast a 95% success rate.
- A natural look and feel: An implant looks, feels, and functions just like your natural tooth.
- Protecting your oral health: Implants keep your jawbone healthy and prevent deterioration by replacing your root. They keep your smile aligned properly by preventing the shifting that occurs with neighboring teeth when a tooth is missing.
- Excellent longevity: Dental implants have the potential to last for a lifetime with the right home care and consistent checkups with your dentist.
- A smart long-term investment: Because they can potentially last for a lifetime, dental implants are a cost effective investment in your oral health, as other tooth replacement options will have to be replaced down the road.
Would You Like to Learn More?
If you would like to determine if dental implants are the right treatment for your needs, we invite you to contact The Smilist Dental Medford to schedule a consultation with one of our dentists. We are able to provide comprehensive implant dentistry at our Medford office with no need for referrals to specialists.
Give your dentist in Medford a call today to learn more!